.:[Double Click To][Close]:.
Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

OSCAR Fingal O'Flahertie Wills WILDE; The Festival.

Call me a clichéd literature enthusiast, but Oscar Wilde has always been exceptionally highly ranked as far as my writers of preference go.  An author who, in my opinion, can travel with one from early childhood to the depths of old age, Wilde's aestheticism, artistic characteristics, sheer talent and wit are just the tip of the iceberg as far as my captivation goes.  The first book of Wilde's I ever picked up was a collection of his short stories given to me by my grandparents as a small child, and it is safe to say that I never looked back.  Not for one moment.  One of my best purchases of recent years was 'The Collected Works of Oscar Wilde' which sits beautifully upon my book shelf, and is certainly a staple item to my library.

Of course it is not only my love for Wilde which has inspired me to write this post, but also the fact that I am currently a student in the University to which Wilde is an alumnus.  Amazing?  I think so too.  Because I'm only in first year, everything about Trinity is still so majestically new to me.  The campus is still in possession of all it's awe and wonder, some of which is possibly lost for second, third or fourth years.  Needless to say, I was both awestruck and overjoyed to discover that Trinity had an entire festival dedicated to such an icon.

Tonight, Rupert Everett will open the festival, and this will be followed by 'The Trials of Oscar Wilde', both in the GMB, and both of which I hope to attend.  Players Theatre will be showing "Jack and Algernon", "The Importance of Being Earnest", "The Happy Prince" and "Lady Wilde" all week, and these performances will be complimented by Wilde readings, debates and nights out.  I, for one, simply cannot wait for the festivities to get into full swing; it is certainly fitting to organise such a tribute to one of the most crucial advocates of English literature.  Enjoy!