.:[Double Click To][Close]:.
Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

CRYSTAL CASTLES. ▲

Just last week, I went to see Canadian electronic duo 'Crystal Castles' in The Academy on Middle Abbey Street. Though I had heard mediocre reviews of the band's live set in the press, I decided to tag along and experience for myself the true natures of the band I had been listening to for so long.

By the time I arrived at the venue (after a rather stressful mishap with timing and buses), and battled my way through the rather disheveled looking hipsters who congregated outside and swarmed the merch stand, the support band, Health, were in full swing. The band's 2007 release of Crimewave with Crystal Castles was where I had first heard of the American noise pop group, hailing from Los Angeles. With their lyrics, which are seemingly purposefully vague, the band have been described as "artfully crafted noise and raw synth, haunting monotone vocals, and drum skills that are borderline insane," and I couldn't agree more. Health were the obvious choice to support Crystal Castles, and did an excellent job of preparing the crowd for what was to come. After much head-banging and swinging of hair, Health left the stage, and I found myself regretful wishing that I had forked out for tickets to their concert which was also in Dublin the following night.

Finally, after what seemed like eternity, the lights were cut, Alice Glass emerged from the thick smoke which enveloped the stage, and the band opened up with "Fainting Spells", as the strobe lighting took over and the crowd went insane.
I don't think I've even seen, nor have I ever again to see, a live performer who is as wild as Alice Glass. Though her sometimes weak vocals are often saved by the technical prowess of hooded band-mate Ethan Kath, Alice certainly held  my attention throughout. The backdrop in the Academy was a close-up of the 'graveyard girl' image which constituted the cover of their latest album, but the setlist was spread fairly evenly between both records, playing older tracks such as "Untrust Us" and "Courtship Dating", amongst newer anthems like "Doe-Deer", and the fist-pumping "Baptism". Leaping from the drum kit, striking the cymbals with her mic, and flinging herself to the mercy of the crowd, Alice certainly was a sight to behold. From reading reviews of the band, I had heard rumours of Alice's chugging straight JD, and sure enough, out came the bottle, which she had soon enough donated to her worshipping fans.

The crowd themselves were fairly wild, and though at times I admittedly feared for my life, I thoroughly enjoyed every second of being shoved and pulled in every possible direction, and by the end of the gig, my hair was soaked from root to tip between sweat, water and what ever alcohol people were showering over the crowd. Though I was slightly disappointed by the length of the gig, and thought it quite brazen if Crystal Castles to perform an encore after a show which was scarcely an hour long, I would definitely go to see the band again should the return to Dublin! All in all, a great night. 



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56E8yYgLNHE